Skip to main content

My Food's Long Distance Relationship

 If you took a look at my third blog "'Too Busy' for a Healthy Lifestyle" post you can see that most of what I eat is processed foods. In this case, I do not have much of a  first hand, nor a second-hand connection with who grows the food I'm eating. If we took a look at my typical McDonalds breakfast several people come between me and my meal. From Cattle ranchers to the people who package and serve my food.

An overview of what comes between our meals.
I notice that many fruits and vegetables at the store come pre-chopped and packaged for on the go. This refers back to my previous blog it is much easier to grab and go than to do it yourself especially when you run a tight schedule. I came across this tweet in tweeter and really made me realize how pointless some of the plastic packagings really are.
tweet from twitter.


While at the grocery store I decided to observe what other people had in their shopping carts. I came across various people who were wasting plastic bags. I noticed that a lot of people add a plastic bag to their bananas when the put it in their shopping cart. I didn't get it. I mean the bananas aren't loose, so there is no reason to do that. While I was at the store I found the opportunity to take a quick picture of this habit in use as well as buying the pre-chopped and wrapped products rather than the entire fruit.
You can see precut and packaged watermelon as well as bagged bananas. 

I am not at all satisfied with how I get my foods most of the time. I know I could do better by not wasting so much unnecessary plastic. Many of the vegetables, we buy come pre-chopped, packaged, or wrapped in plastic.





















My Family and I could really start improving in taking advantage of our local Baytown's farm market in order to reduce plastic waste. By taking the time to store and chop our own fruits and vegetables ourslef would also help.

An ad I found on Facebook for Baytown Farmers Market.
The only primary relationship I have is with the different types of papers that we harvest in our backyard. It is nice to go to our backyard and being able to pick peppers whenever we want some spice on our dish. I would like to start planting other plants to improve my first-hand relationship with the food my family eats.
peppers from our plants.


I feel like having a better connection with the food I eat will help my diet and in knowing what I'm actually putting in my body rather than a whole bunch of ingredients I never seen before.
Taking a look at the box of processed mashed potato ingredients and homemade mash potatoes you can easily recognize all the ingredients were in the box one I only recognize "potato flakes".




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plastic pollution

I plan to revise and edit my second essay to a research paper by adding more information to back up my claims on the negative effects that plastic pollution has on our environment as well as species.  Including how zero waste can have a positive impact in the future. I will compare my experience to other beaches that have been affected by trash in the past. Mainly reference information of Mumbai Juhu beach in India that was hugely polluted by large amounts of plastic. Explaining how they reduce the amount of plastic by not only cleaning up the beach but changing their lifestyle by incorporating recycling trash into their daily routine. Chatterjee,  Badri. “Despite 50,000 Kg of Trash Being Cleared, Mumbai’s Juhu Beach Remains Filthy.”  Despite 50,000 Kg of Trash Being Cleared, Mumbai’s Juhu Beach Remains Filthy , Hindustan Times, 29 May 2108, www.hindustantimes.com/mumbai-news/despite-50-000-kg-of-trash-being-cleared-...

Hate Loving You (poems)

After reading various poems from the book 180 more Extraordinary Poems For Every Day . Two poems with similar themes stood out to me. "Please Come Late" by Hugo Williams and Hate poem" by Julie Sheehan share they contradicting of a love-hate relationship. https://media.youqueen.com/2014/12/love-hate-relationship.jpg     The poem "Please Come Late" is about a guy waiting for his ex-girlfriend if I had to take a guess at a coffee shop. They seemed to have gotten in an argument and set up at a date to meet up and try to fix things. He's been waiting long enough to finish drinking two cups of coffee and tries to come up with excuses on why she is could be late "praying you are lost"(8). As much as he would love for her to show up he tends to contradict himself various times. In the beginning, he starts off with "Please come late"(1) and right after also mentions "Please don't come"(5). He then tries to convince ...

Change

 Growing up I was an only child until I was four. My mom was pregnant I remember I was generally excited. Unfortunately, I didn't get to meet my brother or at least I do not remember doing so. I remember my parents were devastated, yet they did the best they could for me not to feel companionless. We use to have what we called "Noche de Juegos" which means game night. They took time out of their day to play with me. (Christmas day)my dad spent the day teaching me how to play the piano My parents were very protective and loving. I was always used to getting what I wanted or getting to go places I would want to go. So you could imagine what seven year old me felt when I got the news that I was going to be a big sister once again. I remember at first I thought it was going to be fun to have someone new to play with. That was not the case I couldn't play anything fun with her. I once tried playing barbies with her and she would just put everything in her mo...